Our SUMO Suction and SUMO Magnet mounting systems safely and securely mount to the exterior of your vehicle.
- Suction mounts can adhere to any smooth and non-porous surface making them more versatile than magnets.
- Properly used, suction mounts provide vastly superior adhesion and can withstand much higher speeds, crosswinds and really rough “roads”.
- Suction mounts can adhere to slightly curved surfaces.
- Suction mounts are more sensitive to cold temperatures and wet and dirty surfaces. Really cold, wet and dirty surfaces can inhibit adhesion.
- Magnets will only adhere to steel surfaces (check your hood and roof with a refrigerator magnet to find out).
- Magnets are less sensitive to temperature, dust and water on the car’s surface.
- Magnets will work in extremely cold temperatures.
- Magnets require flat surfaces for optimum adhesion.
Suction or Magnet?
Want the most powerful adhesion? Suction mounts are the way to go. Suction Mounts produce much higher holding force than magnets!
There is no “better” system as both types have advantages and disadvantages. There is however a few factors that are important. You should consider how you are going to use the SUMO to help in making a decision:
- If you are going to drive above 45 mph then you want the suction mounts.
- If you are using the SUMO in really rainy conditions a lot and NOT going to drive above 45 mph AND you remove the SUMO from your vehicle when parked while fishing, magnets may be a better choice.
- SUMO suction and magnet mounts are interchangeable and sold separately so you can use any combination for best results.
General Guidelines For Determining Which Mounting Method Is Best For You*
- Are you a winter or fair-weather angler?
- Does your car have a steel roof and hood?
- Do you want to mount to the sunroof or windshield?
- Do you intend to take your SUMO on airlines?
- What type of fishing do you do? Are you driving from hole to hole or do you drive from home to your destination?
- Suction mounts when properly used provide more holding power than magnets.
RODMOUNTS has attempted to make SUMO the best rod carrier for outside of cars that does not require mounting to a roof rack. And short of drilling into your hood and roof and bolting something down, SUMO is a great way to transport your rods rigged and ready to fish in a quick and convenient way.
*RODMOUNTS does not make specific recommendations as to which type of mount is best for your situation. It is the user’s responsibility to determine which mounting method is best suited for them.